Winter brings considerable experience to the newly created role at Victoria Shipyards where he has served in consistently senior roles since joining in 2011
Victoria, BC – Seaspan Shipyards (Seaspan) is pleased to announce the appointment of Tony Winter as Vice President, Project Delivery.
Winter most recently served as the Director, Submarines at Seaspan’s Victoria Shipyards (VSL) where he played an instrumental leadership role in maintaining and repairing Canada’s fleet of submarines (with Seaspan a subcontractor to Babcock Canada). Prior to that, he was the Deputy Program Manager, a Production Manager and a Project Controller on the Submarine Program.
In this new position Winter will be responsible for a number of important projects at VSL. Among them is the program to upgrade the Royal New Zealand Navy’s two ANZAC-class Frigates, the first foreign warships to undergo modernization in Canada since the Second World War. Other notable projects will include ongoing work maintaining the Royal Canadian Navy’s Halifax-class frigates, Victoria-class submarines, and a major LNG-conversion program for TOTE Maritime Alaska. His promotion underscores the important work that Seaspan conducts on behalf of clients in managing major and complex projects. A key consideration in Winter’s promotion was the expectation of future work on Canada’s Halifax-class frigates. This would see Seaspan deliver in-service support for Canada’s West Coast fleet of frigates until their anticipated replacement in early 2040.
Serving in the Royal Australian Navy from 1987 to 2006, Winter brings more than 25 years of knowledge and expertise on submarines, surface ships and naval weapons systems. Winter’s technical expertise brought him to Canada in 2006, where he worked as an applications developer and technical representative before joining Seaspan in 2011. Winter holds a Bachelor of Engineering with first-class honours, is a Professional Engineer in British Columbia and is certified as a Project Management Professional.
“Tony has been a vital part of our team at Victoria Shipyards in managing some of our most important projects. This promotion will allow him to play a greater role in our business and see his experience fully leveraged. On behalf of our company’s senior leadership I congratulate him on this well-deserved promotion.”
- Joe O’ Rourke, Vice President & General Manager – Victoria Shipyards
“Seaspan’s Victoria Shipyards has proven its capabilities time and again and I am proud to be part of a team which consistently delivers service excellence. I look forward to continuing to provide our customers with quality work on large-scale, high-value projects in this new role.”
- Tony Winter, Vice President, Project Delivery – Victoria Shipyards
- To date, Victoria Shipyards has provided docking work periods:
- 19 times for frigates
- 3 times for destroyers
- 3 times for Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels
- Victoria Shipyards is the prime sub-contractor for Babcock Canada Inc.'s maintenance work on the Victoria-class Submarines providing a highly skilled workforce and shipyard facilities.
- Victoria Shipyards is a subcontractor to Lockheed Martin Canada’s upgrade program on two ANZAC-class Frigates for the Royal New Zealand Navy.
- In 2018 Victoria Shipyards was selected by TOTE Maritime Alaska to carry out the yard production work and docking necessary for the conversion of two TOTE Orca class vessels to enable them to use LNG as fuel.
- Victoria Shipyards regularly provides maintenance and servicing for large Cruise ships and other commercial clients.