More than 150 members of 1 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group, from Edmonton, Alberta, will deploy to Joint Base Lewis-McChord near Tacoma, Washington, to participate in Exercise SPECTRAL RAM. This is the Canadian Army’s contribution to the U.S. Army’s Exercise WARFIGHTER, a computer-assisted training event conducted at the Corps and Division level taking place from March 27 until April 13, 2017.
The aim of this exercise is to test readiness, responsiveness, and leadership skills in a variety of scenarios that simulate full-spectrum operations.
“Exercise SPECTRAL RAM 2017 is a valuable training opportunity for 1 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group. The U.S. Army is our closest ally and their hard-won combat experience at the division level and beyond afford us the opportunity not only to practice command and control, but to do so within a fully enabled higher-level context. We are using this opportunity to build cohesion in training prior to working together on the battlefield.”
— Colonel Bill Fletcher, Commander, 1 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group
- Exercise SPECTRAL RAM 2017 provides a continuation training opportunity for the Canadian Army’s High Readiness Brigade headquarters. It strengthens its ability to deploy anywhere and at any time, while simultaneously gaining experience in working with the U.S. Army and enhancing their interoperability with a key ally.
- Exercise SPECTRAL RAM 2017 allows participating soldiers an opportunity to hone their command and control techniques, as well as to enable information flow between subordinate and higher commands.
- During its time as the High Readiness Brigade this past year, members of 1 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group have deployed in support of several international operations, including:
- Operation UNIFIER – Canada’s contribution to support Ukrainian forces through capacity building;
- Operation REASSURANCE – Canada’s support to NATO assurance and deterrence measures in Central and Eastern Europe; and
Operation IMPACT – the Canadian Armed Forces’ contribution to dismantle and ultimately defeat Daesh.